From:
Andrew Warland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2016 09:04:44 +1000
Hi Blake
I have just completed a new article (which I cannot share just yet) on this
subject. One of the comments I made was that, from a records management
point of view, nothing much has changed since SP2010 when the product was
assessed that, OOTB it would meet 88% of the pre-cursor to ISO 16175 (which
seems to be not well known). The remaining 12% of requirements were
optional or could be met in various ways - for example, the management of
paper records (which we do in lists).
What has changed is the ability to apply a retention schedule (via
Information Policies) to an entire site, which has been very useful for us
for our project sites. I'd like to see the ability to apply similar
retention policies to document libraries as the options now OOTB are
limited: via Content Types (retention per document, not a viable option for
most), via Folders (not easy to manage), or via some other option - we use
a script that lists all libraries across all sites, but we are going to
have to find a better way to do this in the next two years.
On the other hand, information rights management (IRM) and data loss
prevention (DLP), along with the ability to do e-discovery and apply legal
holds provides an additional layer of protection.
One thing that I'm curious about is how Microsoft do this using only
SharePoint. For information about how they manage their records in
SharePoint see 'SharePoint to the cloud - learn how Microsoft ran its own
migration' and also 'Monitoring and protecting sensitive data in Office
365', both on www.microsoft.com/ITshowcase. Their white paper on 'Security
and Compliance' in Office 365 is also interesting reading.
Regards
Andrew Warland
Sydney, Australia
(My views entirely)