From:
Andrew Warland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2016 08:27:08 +1000
Hi Fred

Thanks for the email. I described how the 12% could be met in my blog post
here:
https://andrewwarland.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/does-sharepoint-2010-do-records-management-the-12-ica-gap-explained/

A SharePoint list is similar in concept to an Excel spreadsheet (more so
than a Word table) as it consists of multiple columns and rows. However,
unlike a spreadsheet, a SharePoint list has many additional features

   - The list can be accessed by anyone with permission, anywhere (and
   soon, for us, on any device).
   - Access to the list can be defined as 'Edit' or 'Read only'
   - Each column can be tailored to the business need - free text (e.g.,
   for record title), multiple lines of text (e.g., for records description),
   choice (e.g., for status or location), date (e.g., for date ranges), person
   or group (for records disposal authorisation) and so on.
   - Each row can be edited independently of the rest, helping to protect
   the integrity of the content (compared with a spreadsheet where someone can
   delete column/row data a bit too easily). This means that anyone with edit
   rights can edit a specific item (row) rather than having to open and edit a
   single document.
   - Each row can have versioning information. This gives us a history of
   the changes made to each row. We use this to track the history of the item
   also.
   - Each row can have permission controls (although this is not common).
   - Any item that may be deleted can be restored from the Recycle Bin.
   - You can export the list, or specific views of the list, anytime to
   Excel.

Out of the box, SharePoint lists do not give you the ability to use
barcodes, but this wouldn't be too difficult to add on if required.

I'm happy to explain further or respond to queries.

Andrew Warland