From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 15:55:11 -0500
We've handled this two different ways.  Both times there was a lot of paper
involved, but not more than 20 cubic feet. Still a lot of work, though.

For one case, we made two copies of all the pertinent records, certified one
copy as true copies that we sent to the attornies, and kept the second copy
boxed together.  When the case was done, we destroyed our second copy (the
courts kept the certified copy).  The originals were refiled immediately
after copying.

For the second case, we created a certified copy and a list of all documents
going to the attorneys.  The originals were refiled immediately after
copying.

The key was - our original records were placed back into appropriate active
or inactive processes as soon as possible so we could continue to use or
reference them as needed.  There was a hold on destruction, of course, but
our originals never left our control or our normal use.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division