From:
"Buchanan, Meaghan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:14:11 -0600
Hello,

We also have such a committee.  For us, it's called the "Records and Archival Management Committee", and it is provided for in our Records and Archives policy.

We are currently working on setting up our bylaws, but they will be pretty similar to what the responsibilities are, as defined by the policy.  The policy also dictates who the members are.  We have members from:
	-each of the faculties in the University (Arts/Science, Education, Business, Trades/Technology, and Health);
	-President's Office;
	-Tri-Councils (Board of Governors, Senate, Council of Elders);
	-HR;
	-Finance;
	-Registrar;
	-Community-Based Services (we provide contract education training to many isolated communities in our province);
	-Student Development;
	-Institutional Research;
	-VP, Academics and Research;
	-1 faculty member;
	-Dean of Library and Instructional Services;
	-Myself as Archivist;
	-My Records Clerk.
I am also hoping to get someone from IT to serve on the committee.

The committee is supposed to oversee the RM and Archives programmes, make suggestions, and report to the President and to the Dean of Library and Instructional Services.  In practise, I inform the committee of what I'm doing, and they'll be fine.  Since I'm the one dealing with the nuts and bolts of the program, they shouldn't micromanage.  Plus, the people on the committee are the Unit Records Officers, so I'll be working with them to set up new schedules and retention periods and the like.

I was elected the chair of the committee, and I will set the agenda in consultation with the Vice-Chair, who is the faculty member.

I hope this helps!

Meaghan Buchanan, MLIS
Archivist
University College of the North