From:
"Gervais, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 06:57:16 -0500
Refiling of original paper records:

This is a similar process to an Access to Information Request.  I used to
provide solicitors with  the original records if they examined these records
"in the records office" and copies of the documents if they were examining
them in "their" offices.  These copies were "certified true" (with time,
date and signatures) copies by the City Clerk.  In some cases they insisted
on removing the original records so we had to prepare a document for their
signature which had a detailed list of all records contained within the
folders. The file folders were checked upon their return, to ensure all
information was there.  If there was an ongoing case the records were kept
separate, either in boxes or in a temporary section, until the conclusion of
the ATIP request or court case.  We would either put charge out cards
indicating the location of the records in their place or copies of them so
that staff could still access the records.  It is one of those situations
that all good records managers dislike and that is their records leaving the
records office. Records managers tend to treat their records like their
children and get quite possessive of them ha ha!  Happy Friday folks!

John A. Gervais
Program Manager
Policy and Standards Section
Information Policy and Governance Division
Intergovernmental and International Affairs Directorate
Policy and Planning Branch
Canada Revenue Agency
25 Nicolas Street, 16th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0L5